Know your debt collection rights
In the video, you’ll see how bad debt collectors try to get you to pay up. Bad debt collectors will say anything to get you to pay – and they’ll make it feel urgent to get you to pay immediately. But there are laws to protect you. Debt collectors:
- Can’t call you before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Can’t use profanity, threaten violence or harass you to pay
- May not lie or pretend to be someone they’re not
- Cannot ask you to pay a debt that doesn’t even exist
- Can’t threaten you with arrest or deportation
- Cannot tell anyone – except your spouse or attorney – about your debt
If a debt collector calls and uses any of these tactics, hang up and report it to the FTC. Remember: you have the right to be treated fairly – no matter what.
Want more information about debt collection? Visit consumer.gov/debt.